[TowerTalk] Towertalk Admin Change

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:45:09 -0500

At 03:24 PM 11/16/98 -0500, Bill Fisher - W4AN wrote:

>Pete, N4ZR and I are not on the same page as to the direction of this
>reflector.  Pete is more inclined to less or no censorship.  I am inclined
>to moderate the list completely.  Regardless, our difference of opinion
>has prompted Pete to resign as admin of the reflector.
>
>If you have interest in doing the job please let me know.  I have only one
>requirement...  You must be willing to keep the reflector on topic.

Bill, I was with you till that last half-sentence.

I did not want to "moderate" the reflector  -- interposing myself between
every message and the list -- for two reasons.

First, I have a basic philosophical discomfort with prior restraint of
speech.  My preferred mode of operation was to message people directly and,
occasionally, to post a public request that a given thread be discontinued.

Second, because I have a real job, acting as moderator would often impose
some delay in the posting of messages on the reflector, resulting in missed
deadlines for needed information and, probably, some degree of double-posting.

Bill doesn't feel my approach is firm enough, and the reflector exists
through his generosity, so he gets to decide.

See you all on the reflector and on the bands.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Loud is good