[TowerTalk] full body harness ---> full body massage needed!

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:33:41 EDT

In a message dated 98-10-04 07:42:15 EDT, k4oj@ij.net writes:

> It is a Kelin full body fall arrest harness.....it has shoulder straps with
>  a fall arrest ring in the middle of my shoulder blades...there is the
>  "belt" which seems to land in the wrong spot.....there are four d-rings,
>  two attach to the "seat" (which does not land in the right spot on my
>  butt)..and the other two are on the belt.....and there are two leg straps
>  which at times ride a little too far North for my liking (as in voice
>  changing pitch!).
>
>  If you wear one of these and have tips on its adjustment I would appreciate
>  your thoughts......the owners manual that came with the belt, while thick,
>  not only does not picture the one belt in the box, but does not address the
>  methodology of adjusting one of these suckers to fit a 6'3" fat old man -
>  halp, I got a lot of antenna work to get done quickly, see below!

      Assuming you got the correct size and harness for tower work, I would
first adjust the suspenders to raise/lower the waist belt until it's in the
spot that you want it (at your waist!). Once that happens, then everything is
basically in the right place. If your back got sore and you couldn't use the
seat, then the waist is probably too high. Lower it with the suspender
adjustment.

     The Klein equipment is professional grade and is designed to be worn for
a whole shift with minimum discomfort so you probably have a problem on your
end (if you met the two above conditions).

     Personally I adjust the belt snugly and have the leg loops fairly loose
and the suspenders slightly loose. That way you can move around the tower with
a minimum of restriction. Use the little connector that attaches the
suspenders; that'll keep them from falling off your shoulders. Once you've got
everything adjusted, you shouldn't have to do anything else until your weight
changes.

     BTW, the easiest way to put the harness on is to grab it by the back
single D-ring and shake it. That way it hangs in the correct orientation and
you can just slip your arms through the suspenders. Then just buckle
everything in and you're good to go.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC