[TowerTalk] Best wire type antenna for 75m/80m DX coverage

Tom Osborne w7why@mail.coos.or.us
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:11:38 -0700

PAUL924@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings towertalk members,
>
> In search of a wire antenna that would provide a low swr 80m cw (3520) >and also 75m (3795) coverage. A cage would be too large, has anyone >used bazookas

Hi Paul.

How much room do you have, and do you have a tower.  A few years back
there was an article in QST about an antenna that covered the whole 80
meter band.  It consisted of a 70 foot wire hooked to the top of the
tower (grounded), and sloped downward to the ground.  At about 15 feet
up the tower, there were 2 54 foot wires fanned out about 30 degrees or
so, one on each side of the top wire.  The fanned wires are fed with
coax and the shield grounded.  I put one up and the bandwidth was great,
but my tower was only 30 feet tall so couldn't really give it a good
try. Maybe someone has modeled this antenna or tried one.  But it was
very broadbanded.  73
Tom W7WHY