[TowerTalk] Admin's observations

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:13:25 -0500

Well, I've been managing the reflector for a week now.  A couple of
observations that I hope will be of general interest.

1.  The overwhelming majority of messages posted so far have been right on
topic.  A few have not.  I've sent one or two private messages suggesting
that a given message might be posted elsewhere, but you could all help by
not responding *on the reflector* to off-topic messages -- respond
directly, and save the bandwidth.

2.  Considering the number of people on the reflector's mailing list, there
are a surprisingly small percentage of messages (2 or 3 per reflector
posting) that bounce because of some sort of system problem, usually at the
user's mail host.  In most cases, those things seem to resolve themselves
within a day or so, and mail resumes flowing smoothly.

If you think that you might have been unsubscribed -- and the only users
who have been unsubscribed are ones whose mail bounced long-term with "user
unknown" as the reason -- send a message to majordomo@contesting.com.  In
the body of the message, put "which" followed by your e-mail address.  for
example, a message reading: "which n4zr@contesting.com" will be answered
with a list of all the reflectors to which N4ZR is currently subscribed
(using that e-mail address).  Then you can resubscribe, go yell at your
mail host, or whatever.

3.  Most of the messages that have been bounced to me have been SPAM, plus
a few non-member postings.  Now that I've figured out the rudiments, I'm
reposting the latter in a form that should be totally invisible to other
users.  There have been no bounces for content, nor would I expect any.

Thanks, all, for making this so easy.  Now, back into the underbrush...

73,

Pete, N4ZR (your humble obedient servant and reflector admin)