[TowerTalk] Hygain cinch plug corrosion

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:44:23 EST

In a message dated 98-10-28 20:09:49 EST, wa3uum@juno.com writes:

>   There is a type of  heat shrink,( I use ANDREWS ), that has an inner
>  coating. As the shrink is heated, the inner coating melts and flows into
>  all the nooks and crannies. It does make for a mess when it is removed
>  and you're trying to remove the connector.

     3M is a manufacturer of this recent type of shrink tubing. The inner
material is a glue that melts when it's heated. The glue fills the voids and
also makes if impossible for the heatshrink to slip. Almost invariably older
heatshrink will be damaged by years of UV and actually expand enough for the
tubing to slide off the joint. The new stuff is thicker and solves these
problems. It IS expensive - a buck an inch or more.

     I have found that the heatshrink will peel right off after being sliced
open with a razor knife.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC