[TowerTalk] Rohn tower base and guy anchor installation

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 11:15:09 EDT

In a message dated 98-09-05 08:08:42 EDT, kq2m@eci.com writes:

> 1) What are the recommended dimensions (width, length & depth) of the
>  hole for a Rohn 45 Tower base using a flat base plate and pier pin?
>  (Hopeful tower heights are 100' and 130')

     Get the damn Rohn catalog. Look it up and then follow ALL other
manufacturer's specs. Available at www.championradio.com.

>  3) Can the concrete simply be poured into the hole (without a wooden
>  form) or MUST a wooden form be used?  If a wooden form should be used,
>  how much room should I leave in the hole between the "walls" and the
>  form?

      No wooden form. They're not normally needed for holes of this size. You
want direct concrete-to-earth contact.

>  4) With respect to grounding, will the following scenario work?:
>  At three of the "edges" of the hole (and BEFORE the concrete is poured)
>  bang in a ground rod and connect the ground rods together with #2 wire,
>  then pour the concrete and connect each ground rod with #2 wire to each
>  leg of the tower?

      There are whole BOOKS on this topic. I suggest you read a couple. The
Polyphaser book and my grounding reprint for a buck are good starts.

     Another terrific source of information is the TowerTalk archives. They're
at www.contesting.com. This is a 3-day weekend. Spend a bunch of it reading,
researching and doing your homework.

>  6) Would it be advisable to connect some of the rebar to the ground rod
>  before I pour the concrete or should it not be touching?  If the ground
>  rod and the rebar should touch, can they simply touch or must they be
>  mechanically bonded together in some way?

      Check the Rohn book for the rebar specs for the base and anchors.
There's not much rebar in those holes. Running a ground wire from the tower
legs to the ground rods is easier. You're probably either going to use
Phillystran or insulators in the guy wires so they're insulated all ready and
no guy or guy anchor grounding is necessary.

>  7) Regarding the guy anchors, what are the dimensions of the hole and
>  concrete for eacy guy anchor?

     Jeez, see comment #1 above.

(A whole bunch snipped since they will be answered when you do your homework.)

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC