[TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj@ij.net
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:51:10 -0400

N4ZR wrote:

For that matter, the local big tower guru talked me out of using any sort
of bearing at all for my tribander, suggesting instead that I use a Rohn
pointy-top.  As he says, a bearing that isn't there can't seize.  They even
come with a location for a set-bolt, so that when you need to remove the
rotor you can just pry the mast up, set the bolt, and pull the rotor at
leisure.

So, when that ONE BOLT coming in from ONE SIDE is tightened down to the
point where it is just prior to touching your mast it is NOT off
center????? I think not, sir.....

Your buddy was right with his logic about order for tightening...but the
bolt in the pointy top is contra-indicated by the same logic since it is
"one sided" adjustment.  Imagine if you were using two different sized
masts at different times in that same tower....you have centered the mast
in the rotor...and the rotor in the tower....

Now, you have two different settings for the solo bolt....

NOPE.......don't work.

73,

Jim, K4OJ
k4oj@ij.net

Less than 2 months until Sweepstakes CW, make sure you work me so you will
not miss the elusive South Floirda multiplier!

Proud member of the Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:
http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm