[TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:17:42 -0400

At 09:51 AM 9/15/98 -0400, K4OJ wrote:

>N4ZR wrote:
>
>For that matter, the local big tower guru talked me out of using any sort
>of bearing at all for my tribander, suggesting instead that I use a Rohn
>pointy-top.  As he says, a bearing that isn't there can't seize.  They even
>come with a location for a set-bolt, so that when you need to remove the
>rotor you can just pry the mast up, set the bolt, and pull the rotor at
>leisure.
>

>So, when that ONE BOLT coming in from ONE SIDE is tightened down to the
>point where it is just prior to touching your mast it is NOT off
>center????? I think not, sir.....
>
>Your buddy was right with his logic about order for tightening...but the
>bolt in the pointy top is contra-indicated by the same logic since it is
>"one sided" adjustment.  Imagine if you were using two different sized
>masts at different times in that same tower....you have centered the mast
>in the rotor...and the rotor in the tower....
>
>Now, you have two different settings for the solo bolt....

Jim, I must not have been clear about it -- the set bolt is used only when
you want to remove the rotor.  In that situation, it makes perfectly good
sense, because you loosen the rotator to mast clamp, pry up the mast, and
THEN tighten the set-bolt.  Sure, it moves over to the side of the tube in
the pointy-top, but when you've fixed the rotor you reverse the sequence
and it goes back to the centered location where it belongs.

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, only middlin' rare WEST Virginia