[TowerTalk] hy-gain tower modle HG-52SS

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 00:44:49 EDT

In a message dated 98-09-25 21:29:41 EDT, kb0lxx@gfherald.infi.net writes:

> I have a hy-gain tower, modle HG-52SS.  Tower is rated at 50 mph at 52
>  ft, with windload of 10 ft.  I'm useing a 13 ft. mast with 4 antennas.
>  Wind load will be 10 sg. ft.  The tower is a three section crank up.  I
>  only want to crank the tower up to a height that would allow it to be
>  rated at app. 75 mph.,  need help to determine  what height I should
>  crank the tower up to for a app. rateing of 75 mph.  Also does anyone
>  have a est. windload for each ft. below 52 ft.

     You will be particularly interested in an article by Roger Cox, WB0DGF,
of Hy-Gain called "Match Your Antenna To Your Tower". It covers wind load,
bending moment as well as having charts of windspeed vs. extended height of
Hy-Gain crank-up towers. The reprint is a buck from Tower Tech, Box 572,
Woodinville, WA, 98072.

     Bruce Horn, WA7BNM, has written a short analysis on the same topic with a
US Tower 89-footer. It's a buck also.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
www.championradio.com