[TowerTalk] More on the fiberglass/KT34XA problem

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 00:47:50 -0400

On 9/25/98 7:13 PM, w8ji.tom at w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com wrote:

>UV light kills many types of fiberglass.

That's something of a misnomer. The fiberglass doesn't deteriorate in UV.
In fact, it is glass, which stands up to UV quite well.

>It causes the bonding agent to crumble.

Yup, that's the rub. The boding agent is often an epoxy, polyester or
vinylester resin. All are subsceptable to UV. Coating exposed fiberglass
composites with a UV-opaque paint is a must.

>Of course it could be acid raid. That stuff is amazing.

No, these resins are pretty resistant to acids. When fully hardened, they
stand up to most solvents pretty well, too.

>I had an automotive
>paint job go bad two days after I picked up the car. The painter said the
>water spots UNDER the clear coat were caused by acid rain, despite the fact
>it hadn't rained and the car was kept in a garage.

I think he was pulling your leg. Probably did a sloppy job and was
covering for it....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901