[TowerTalk] Buried Hardline

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 01:12:08 -0500

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:29:50 -0600 Douglas Bradford
<kz5qdx@communique.net> writes:

>If you don't need the 4" size, use what ever size required and just
>drill the pipe. A lot of us have access to "free" PVC but not
>drainage
>so just drill it, it takes only a few minutes.
>
>73 Brad  KZ5Q

Dont remember where the original questioner lives but I would not
recommend burying anything in PVC pipe without serious consideration.
The problem is that even with perforated pipe the water can freeze and
block off drainage. After awhile the whole pipe can become a block of ice
and crush the cables. This is nothing new for us in Northern NE, many
have had the problem.

A fairly steep grade helps. I had that at a former QTH where the pair of
4" pipes dropped about 10' in a 90' run and the pipes were buried down
2'.  No problems in 8 years except that I learned to have no splices for
any cable in the pipe. The frost line here is typically down 4' .
A heat tape in the pipe is an option but dont know if that is asking for
more trouble.

Eliminated the problem at this QTH.  On almost solid rock so all cables
are aerial. The wife calls it Radio Pelham, some of the multi cable runs
are up to 250' long.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]