[TowerTalk] Buried Hardline

Dick Green Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 03:43:37 -0500

> A fairly steep grade helps. I had that at a former QTH where the pair of
> 4" pipes dropped about 10' in a 90' run and the pipes were buried down
> 2'.  No problems in 8 years except that I learned to have no splices for
> any cable in the pipe. The frost line here is typically down 4' .
> A heat tape in the pipe is an option but dont know if that is asking for
> more trouble.

Carl and I live in the same state. My three 250' runs (4", 2.5" and 1") are
made of the gray PVC used for buried electrical service and were installed
by a professional crew. The trench is over 4 feet deep, so it's below the NH
frost line (don't ask me about the three seams of ledge we had to punch
through.) The pipes angle down a hill that drops 35 feet over the course of
the run. They're terminated at both ends with Greybar weather-sealed utility
boxes. No splices in the cables, either. Two years and no water problems --
so far.

73, Dick, WC1M