[TowerTalk] Using a Transit

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:06:23 -0400

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:23:14 EDT K7LXC@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 99-04-06 01:31:10 EDT, km1h@juno.com writes:
>
>> One procedure that I do use that I rarely see mentioned is the use
>of a
>>  transit for erection.  I'll spend that extra hour or two getting
>>  everything absolutely vertical and as close to equal guy tension as
>>  can.
>
>      Unfortunately a transit requires a moderate learning curve and
>money
>for rental. TIA-222 specs say that you can be out three inches in 100
>feet
>and you can eyeball it that close. While I've used a bubble level many
>times,
>if you can get ahold of an electronic level (good to a tenth of a
>degree!) or
>a level for dish installations (1/4 degrees) - use it to plumb the
>bottom
>section. Then you can sight up the face and plumb the rest of the
>tower
>visually; it'll be pretty darned close. Or use  the aforementioned
>levels to
>plumb each set of guys. Either way is good enough for me.
>
>Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
>Tower Tech

Back around 1982 a few YCCC members pooled some cash and bought a Sears
transit for under $300. It more than paid for itself over the years in
peace of mind and ease of installation.  Later as others moved away I
wound up with the transit here. Anyone is welcome to borrow it.

The learning curve was simple since one of the group was experienced and
a good teacher.

What really amazed me is how distorted a tower can be by strictly
eyeballing it.
It didnt take long to be able to put up 100' plus with deviation limited
to 1/2 a tower leg width.

I also use the transit as a PM measure every year to confirm and
retension guys as needed.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]