[TowerTalk] Tower windload with trees blocking

Hank Lonberg Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:03:00 +0100

     Gary:

     Actually the wind pressure varies from the ground up due to the
     "boundary layer effect" of the fluid (air) and the friction of the
     ground surface. The building code wind pressure design factors account
     for this and the higher you go the larger the wind pressure for the
     same design wind speed. In most cases the largest individual area the
     wind sees is the antenna and this is typically at the top of the
     tower. The tower effective area is distributed over its height(length)
     and resulting force is at the mid-height.

     As you can deduce the largest point load is at the top; the antenna. I
     would be very reluctant to eliminate the wind on the tower itself due
     to "tree line wind breaks" as your local building official may not see
     it the same as you.

     The manufacturers typically rate their towers for the published wind
     distributed load of the wind on the tower also.

     I would not worry about the uneven loading of the wind it is included
     in the assumptions of the actual design process. I would worry more
     about the assumption that the trees block the wind.

     73

     Hank Lonberg P.E.

     -  Hank Lonberg, KR7X
     -  E-mail:  hlonberg@europa.com or hank.lonberg@harrisgrp.com
     -> Team Pantelleria - IH9P - African Italy - CQWW DX SSB
     -> http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/eudora/126/ih9p.html