[TowerTalk] Guys - how many?

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:46:59 +0000

At 02:01 PM 12/28/99 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>K7NV has done some analysis of tower guying and reported
>that increasing the size of the TOP guy to the next larger
>size is beneficial when loading the tower to the MAX.

Also on his web site is an analysis of various guy materials, which plays
into this.  As I understand his analysis, the reason using 1/4 EHS instead
of 3/16, for example, is that it elongates less for a given pull, and
therefore the top of the tower moves less.

With this in mind, people thinking about replacing a top guy (or guys) with
Phillystran should consider the effect on their towers, because it
stretches considerably more than EHS.  Lower stretch is one of the appeals
of the fiberglass rod guy material that people are starting to use a lot,
when you absolutely, positively don't want conductive material in the near
field.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower