[TowerTalk] freestanding towers

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:06:03 EST

In a message dated 99-02-03 11:26:57 EST, driley@1st.net writes:

> i am planning on building and putting up a 40 foot freestanding tower.
>  where can i find info on how deep a foundation i need and how wide a base i
>  will need?  i do not have a license yet.

Hi, Denise --

       A good sized project for anyone! And a big learning curve too.
TowerTalk is the best source for practical info and answers to questions.

      You have two choices of material - galvanized steel and aluminum. Rohn
makes the BX series of steel towers and Trylon has the Titan series. Catalogs
and info for both are available from Champion Radio Products
(http://www.championradio.com).

      Aluminum tower suppliers are Universal and Heights. I think they both
have web sites - Heights is www.heightstowers.com but I don't have the other
one.

     For certain tower heights, the bases are roughly the same. You'll find
lots of valuable information on past self-supporting tower discussions at the
TowerTalk archives - www.contesting.com.

     I wrote a 6-part series on towers for my "Up The Tower" column in CQ
Contest magazine. A copy is available for two bucks to Tower Tech, Box 572,
Woodinville, WA, 98072.

73 and good luck,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products