[TowerTalk] Homebrew Tuners

Dave Jordan wa3gin@erols.com
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 10:09:58 -0500

TTalkers,

All this T-talk about tuners has got my building juices flowing...I've
been collecting parts
for decades with dreams of one day building  the big tuner. I've got
vacuum variables and air variables
with .25 inch spacing and several large rotary coils. What I need is a
counter dial for the
coil. I've have two E.F. Johnson types but need one more...please go to
my web page
(http://www.erols.com/wa3gin/) if you've got something in the junk box.
I'd like something
that matches the EFJ 116-208-4 pictured there.

Also would appreciate direct email comments regarding the pros/cons of
vacuum variables versus
air variables for tuners as well as circuits for use with open-wire line
(600ohm). My tower will be almost 1,000ft
from the station and was planning to run open-wire to the base then
convert to coax to run up to the ant.
switch.

thanks,
dave