[TowerTalk] bottom or top?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:54:19 EST

In a message dated 99-02-14 15:03:29 EST, k4oj@ij.net writes:

> OK - which is better, and why?
>
>  Element to boom plate mounted on top side of boom, element is above boom
>
>  -or-
>
>  Element to boom plate mounted on bottom side of boom, element is hanging
>  below boom

       Having the elements UNDER the boom makes the most sense mechanically
for installation and forces up in the air.

      The KLM's are the only ones I can recall that want elements above the
boom. But I don't have to tell you what a hassle they can be to install when
they want to turtle or pitch-pole (turn upsidedown) when you're tramming them
up because they are so top-heavy.

      Hy-Gain elements are centered on the boom but their hardware allows for
it and it's very robust.

      All new antennas (Force 12 and Cushcraft) have the elements under the
boom. So should you.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC