[TowerTalk] Re: ROTORS

Mike Holley mholley@quik.com
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:20:59 -0800

Hi Brad,
             Thank you so much for your very informative  note on the use
of TB's After all I have read on the pros and cons of the YAESU vis
HY-GAIN I think I will resurrect my old HAM-4 and put it back in service
. I notice you mention someone by the name of "NORM " Is that a HY-GAIN
repair service and if so is there a URL or e mail address ? I do have
both URL and e mail for "Rotordoc which I have already been in contact
with . My overhaul of the HAM 4 will include replacing the original power
connector with a quick disconnect "AMP" 8 pin connector . What about the
original wedge? Should I  replace that at this time with  a "Super Wedge"
? and also the "Brake Delay " mod  ? I will be turning just one 4 element
20 mtr monoband similar in size to a 204B  (8.4 sq.ft) on a 72 ft self
supporting tapered tower .
 Lastly the question of distribution of weight . At the present (With the
ex YAESU G-800SDX) Now beyond repair  I arranged all the downward weight
,about 80lbs. to be absorbed by the TB but advise I am reading is to let
the rotor take the weight ,this will reduce "Fishtailing" .
 Now I read your observations which makes sense in as much as this will
ultimately cause ware and tare on the ball races , maybe I should share
the weight .Your constructive view would be appreciated .
                                                 Mike VE7AVM