[TowerTalk] PL259 - KINGS THE BETTER? added: other conector info

DavisRFinc@aol.com DavisRFinc@aol.com
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:43:08 EST

Hi Ian,  In general, a Kings connector is a high quality connector.  To be
specific, if you could give me the Kings part #, I can give you specifics
about the connector (Particularly the dielectric material).  In general, there
would be few exceptions where an Amphenol PL259, particularly for ham use,
would be any less desirable.   The same holds true of RFI (RF Industries)
connectors, which my firm also sells due to their commercial grade quality.

   This might be a good place to point out to TTalktarians that Amphenol has
gone to "off shore" production (again).  Last time it was Mexico (not a good
result), this time it's Taiwan.  Taiwan produces good product at certain
factories and most factories sell numerous U.S. distributors, now including
Amphenol.

Like so many other things, U.S. companies have turned to off shore.  A Kings
connector (as far as I know for the items we purchase) is still made in U.S.,
is expensive, and is a "machined" connector.  Some other U.S. mfrs., like
Cambridge, still make them in U.S. but they are molded.  I prefer machined,
but it is just a "physical feel/look" preference.   Taiwanese production seems
to be mostly, or all, machined.

   With regard to "Bakelite" semblance of dielectric insulation:  Amphenol has
23 different types of dieletrics !!, most of which are like puling teeth to
try to find somebody who knows, or will take the time, to provide chemical
data for their nomenclatures.  Although many hams have gotten use to "silver
(plated bronze)/teflon as the "only way to go",  the Amphenol 83-1SP, silver
plated has always been one grade or other of diathyalate.

 The bottom line, it is not Teflon but it will withstand most Novice Class
attempts at frying/soldering it.  That's the biggest concern for dielectric
material. The next concern, obviously is the dieletric rating and lastly, the
moisture resistance of the material and its ability to be machined
concentrically for both its press fit into the connector body and around the
pin. The Amphenol Silver 83-1SP has always been a good connector regarding
solder heat resistance, even though it's not Teflon dielectric.  Amphenol's
83-822 is a silver/Teflon and a lot more expensive.

 The bottom line on moisture resistance; however, is more tied to extremely
good conector final "moisture wrapping" with a good tape such as Coax Seal, or
more preferred by myself and many of our marine electronics clients, Amp cold
fusion tape (no heat required, easy peal off  backing then stretch it a little
to activate the sealing compound, not sticky or messy, looks like dull black
electrical tape when done. Only issue, if it's in U.V., final wrap with 3-M
U.V. resistant tape.

   So, as my famous friend Press Jones would say, I got a little verbose here,
but maybe some of the "ancillary" thoughts are of help to some readers.
Cheers,  Steve Davis,  K1PEK   DAVIS RF Co.      www.davisRF.com
DAVIS RF Co., commercial wire and cable, custom cable design.  Discounts to
hams.  Heliax, LMR, RFS, Belden, Polyphaser Lightning Protection Devices.
Various aerial wiring; transmission lines and Dacron rope.  www.davisRF.com .
1-800-328-4773, (For all RF hardline related items, please ask for Steve
Davis)   Thank you!
In a message dated 2/21/99 10:12:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, glcazzola@iol.it