[TowerTalk] Side Mounts

DavidC davidc@bit-net.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:30:15 -0500

>        Okay, good questions. Tower hardware should consist of galvanized
(hot-
> dipped preferred) or stainless steel. You can get Rohn leg U-bolts from
W7NI.

I just happen to have scooped an unusually husky little stainless table
from
a yard sale this Summer ... hmmmm.

> Get to know your local salvage yards - they probably have the angle iron
> you're looking for. Mine even has a big stack of hot-dipped angle. You
could
> even use aluminum plate for the rotator and top bushing plates. Use of
these
> materials should give you adequate protection from the elements but as
many
> TowerTalkians know, in a hostile saltwater environment anything you use
will
> eventually get eaten up. Do the best job you can and check everything out
> during your annual tower inspection.

I will look here and then seek out what is available there in Florida once
we arrive.

>       If you get the reprints that I mentioned previously, I think that
many
> of your questions will be answered.

Will get the $2. off asap.

>         Well, what's your county windspeed for starts?

Don't know yet.  We are relocating to the New Port Richey area
of Florida in West Pasco County.  We expect to be within 10 miles
of the Gulf coast and I don't want to have to take the system down
(or rebuild it) when the occasional outer edges of a hurricane brush
by with 100+ mph gusts.

> What antenna are you planning on sidemounting?

A long boom 6, a tri-bander, or a WARC beam ... but most likely
a tri-bander, probably a medium size Force 12 with 100mph rating.
(or whatever the locals tell me they have discovered will take the
salt and wind abuse well)

> What kind of tower?

Rohn 45G