[TowerTalk] Attaching Large Antennas to Rohn-45 Legs

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:37:39 EST

In a message dated 99-01-23 19:36:47 EST, w4an@contesting.com writes:

> I have a 8/8 stack to Europe for 10 meters on 48' booms.  I'm also putting
>  up 7/7 for 15 meters on 48' booms.  I'm wondering what type of boom to leg
>  arrangement to use.  I'm leary of tightening a u-bolt too tight around the
>  tower leg.  My thought now is to use 4 U-bolts on the tower leg for each
>  antenna.  Any other advice?

      What you're trying to do is get enough purchase from the U-bolts that
the antennas will stay put in the wind. 45G only has 14 gauge walls plus
they're only 1-1/4 inch OD so I wouldn't go too nuts tightening anything up on
them. Use the 4 U-bolts and then use a couple of pieces of aluminum channel
(doesn't have to be too big) from the boom to the opposite leg. This will not
only lock the antenna down but will also spread the torque over three legs
instead of one. Cheap and simple.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech