[TowerTalk] Building a tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:52:02 EST

>  I have some questions about building a tower, and am not sure where to
> obtain the answers.
>      I want to build a 80 -  100' tower out of 1 5/8" toprail with the 3
legs
> spaced 16" apart.  It will be a "modular" tower, instead of a crank-up.  My
> main question is this:  will it support an HF beam with a windload of 11.6
> sqft.?  It will also be guyed at 30 - 60 - 90 ft. for the 100' , and 25 - 50
-
>  70 ft. for the 80' version.

Hi, Brian --

      Like they say in engineering circles - it depends. Unless you're
intimately familiar with tower construction, are capable of engineering
everything properly and are a real clever metalworker/fabricator, my advice is
to NOT do it yourself. I'm not even sure what 'toprail' is.

     Douglas County is only a 70 MPH windspeed zone - the lowest rating they
give - so big winds aren't a problem.

    I would suggest getting a copy of the Rohn catalog. It's a wealth of
tower-related information and you could make some inferences from their
drawings. You can order one from Champion Radio Products -
www.championradio.com - or 888-833-3104.

     You might want to send for my free guide - "The Ten Most Common Tower
Building Mistakes". SASE to Tower Tech, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

Cheers,  Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products