[TowerTalk] kt34xa rebuild - cleaning inside clamps

J. Parise w1uk@downcity.net
Mon, 10 May 1999 19:13:08 -0400

> For those of you that have rebuilt KT34s, what technique did you use to
clean
> inside the clamps.  I thought of buying a round file.  Any other ideas?

I found using some 400 grit Wet/Dry automotive sandpaper wrapped around a
screwdriver worked great.  A file may be too abrasive and seriously scratch
the surface.

> Also, do you recommend disassembling everything on the elements?  I don't
have
> to disassemble everything to replace the blue caps, i.e. the two clamps
and L
> shaped aluminum coming away from both sides of the insulator and the end
element
> piece, but maybe it is worth it due to the amount of oxidation I see
everywhere
> else.

You are 80% there by the time you can remove the blue caps.  Might as well
redo all the connections and carefully measure all dimensions.
I used a stainless steel screw at every clamp connection as extra insurance
(except on the capicator tubes!!) along with generous use of Oxguard.

> And finally, what is a good way to clean up the screws which have a lot of
> oxidation at the top of the threads?

Just ran them under the wire brush wheel on my bench grinder.  Cleaned up
shiny as new.

Now I just have to get mine out of the garage and up in the air!

Jim W1UK