[TowerTalk] Water in Baluns

JRH jrh@lemoorenet.com
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 04:36:19 -0800

This reminds me of the time I was on a ship in Portland, Ore.
The tech guy told me that the large hf commercial verticals on the ship
were useless as the swr was too high. I suggested we drill a small hole
in one at the base area to see if any water came out. He said for me to
go ahead and we had a long stream come out. The vertical worked with the
tuner after that. Just one of the tips I picked up after a few years on
the job as a good ole radio operator pounding brass. Nowdays, the same
verticals are on the ships and I'll bet money that no one knows why they
don't work anymore. No radio ops = lost skills for good.

K6UR