[TowerTalk] Water in Baluns

Tom Hammond - N0SS n0ss@earthlink.net
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:08:13 -0600

K6UR writes:

>This reminds me of the time I was on a ship in Portland, Ore.
>The tech guy told me that the large hf commercial verticals on the ship
>were useless as the swr was too high. I suggested we drill a small hole
>in one at the base area to see if any water came out. He said for me to
>go ahead and we had a long stream come out. The vertical worked with the
>tuner after that. Just one of the tips I picked up after a few years on
>the job as a good ole radio operator pounding brass. Nowdays, the same
>verticals are on the ships and I'll bet money that no one knows why they
>don't work anymore. No radio ops = lost skills for good.

For what little it may be worth...

>An easy way to drain enclosed baluns is, obviously, to drill a hole(s)
>in the bottom, but then you may have to contend with critters which
>might enter the hole and build a home in the enclosure, which may
>eventually either clog the drain hole or compromise the electrical
>integrity of the balun/or tuning ckt.

In order to maintain drainage thru the hole and still prevent ingress
of critters, just fill the hole with a short, snug fitting, but NOT
TIGHT, piece of nylon cord.  Capillary action and normal gravity
drainage will allow moisture to 'wick' out of the enclosure, but bugs
cannot enter because the hole is 'filled' to them.

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS