[TowerTalk] Anecdotal Comparison Data: C3 vs. C3S

Barry N1EU n1eu@hotmail.com
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 22:09:01 EDT

Just had some fun with my good friend and one mile distant neighbor W2ZU.
Below is some data - did some comparison measurements of f/b ratio of his
Force 12 C3 at 54ft
with my C3S at 50ft by firing a few hundred milliwatts of RF at each other.
Used the excellent S meter in a TS930 for signal strength measurements off
the front and back of
the beams.  Repeated the tests with both ends
transmitting, and swinging the beams on transmit and receive.  His readings
on the less precise Omni 6 S meter pretty much matched those on the
TS930.  For grins, I threw in a comparison reading receiving W2ZU off a
5-band one element Lightning Bolt delta loop (horiz pol) I have with apex at
50ft.  Margin of error reading the meter and setting levels was probably
less than 2dB.

Not meant as serious test data, just us hams playing radio.  Only thing I
guess it might prove is that the C3S hangs in there with its longer-boomed
brother.  Both owners have been quite happy with the performance of their
antennas.

73,
Barry  N1EU

        f/b ratio dB
        C3      C3S       C3S gain over delta loop

20m     13       10         8

17m      3        2       -0.5

15m     12       13        10

10m     20       18         7

test frequencies: 28.3, 21.2, 18.1, 14.1 Mhz