[TowerTalk] Rotor tip

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:54:19 -0400

> The main problem with Molex plugs is that they get water in them easily
and
> are very hard to
> waterproof. I tried them once & had to give up on them for that reason.
>
> 73 - Alan NS0B

I used them in New Hampshire on a 90 foot tower through two years of snow
and ice and rain, etc.  I had no problems though I took care to suspend them
under the rotor for protection and taped them very heavily.

I think they are designed for 12vdc at a few amps and may not be designed to
be fussy about moisture that would trouble lower-level signals.  I was
planning
to use them again, this time here in Florida ... lots of rain, but lots more
sun and
wind to dry them out!

As for bulkhead applications I would suggest Polyphaser or equivalent for
everything.
Florida has more lightning but everywhere gets some.  Static gathered from
dust,
snow, etc. can also build up to significant levels.  Just a thought.

73, DavidC  K1YP