[TowerTalk] Rohn 25; Ham-IV & T2X mounting

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:14:45 EDT

In a message dated 99-10-05 12:42:04 EDT, wilder@abs.net writes:

> Some years ago, a friend was going to show me how to cut Rohn 25 so
>  that a Ham IV or T2X could be mounted inside the tower.  That was
>  news to me; I did not know that the trend was to cut a rung or diagonal
>  to allow the rotor mounting.  I had mounted the rotor inside Rohn 25
>  without cutting.  I just held the T2X next to where I wanted it and
>  easily kicked it into the space.

      A Ham IV will slip in-between the braces of 25G; a T2X will not. The
problem with 25G is that you can only mount the rotator in a top section that
will already allow it (tapered sections, etc.) or at a section joint because
the rotator shelf won't fit anywhere else.

      I'm sure that the factory would discourage you from cutting any braces.
While it has been done with "success" (no failures) in most instances, it
isn't a sound structural thing to do.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech