[TowerTalk] verticals and wire antennas

Ed Juge ed_juge@zianet.com
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 20:07:39 -0500

Hi, Mike...

That ought to bring you a wealth of diverse answers!

I've used old Hy-Gain verticals, Butternut and a couple of others.  My
hands-down favorite is the Hy-Gain Hy-Tower which isn't even built any
more.  I've had mine up at three different QTHs and it seems to outperform
anything else I've used.  Since it's 53 feet tall, the capture area is
larger than any others.  Of course I have worked it against 16-19 radials
in each installation and must admit I haven't gone to those lengths with
the other verticals I've used.

Can't say on the wire antenna.  I've always built my own... usually
Inverted V's.  I'll be curious to see what answers you get there.

Ed, W5EJ
Ruidoso, NM

At 05:09 PM 10/7/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello Everyone!
>
>First question regarding vertical antennas, does anyone have have any
>recommendations in so far as brand model ect.  I have an option on a
>perfect R-5 and have been told that it's preferred over the R-7 but not
>sure about the R-7000 or others.
>
>Second question regarding wire antennas, any recommendations regarding a
>model, brand or construction of a multibander.  I have been looking at the
>"Carolina Windom 80 but thought I would subject it to the expertise of this
>forum prior to any doings or wrongdoings as some would say.
>
>As always, the recommendations and opinions from all of you are greatly
>appreciated to us newcomers on the block!!
>
>'73 to all from Mike in Hudson, WI
>K0NWA
>
>PS  I realize a "tower is just a tower" and in this case a "vertical is
>just a pole" and "wire is just...well a wire!" (all in fun.... I enjoy it
>all!!)
>

>--

Ed Juge
phone: 817.291.0733