[TowerTalk] verticals and wire antennas

n8ug@juno.com n8ug@juno.com
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 00:22:46 -0400

Hello Mike - I'll be glad to tout the best, and easiest dipole for the
best performance and most usable over 8 bands for sure, 9 if you work at
it.

We've had a hand in hundreds of them over the last 15-20 years, and with
the exception of a "cockpit error" or two, the reports have been great.

We call it, simply, a "flat top" fed with ladderline through a
transmatch. There is no way to get more signal to an antenna, and by the
arrangement of such a dipole, the pattern can be altered to suit. Best of
all - the cost is low.

Some call it some form of a "Zepp," but the choices available are too
great to define it that way. It can be truly a flat top straight as an
arrow, or zig-zag, or droopy ends, or inverted "V," or a horizontal or
vertical polygon.

The length is that which fits the allotted space, the ladderline feedline
length is defined as the distance to the rig, no matter how long, and the
transmatch needs to be able to supply balance and work over a wide
impedance range at the assigened level of power. The choice of wire
depends on the degree of permanence required, the power planned, and the
span lengths.

We've accumulated a lot of information over the years on the various
supplies, options, and details, so we welcome further questions along
those lines.

The current edition of Amateur Radio Trader has an article on the subject
of dipoles in two parts, the second yet to come - entitled "How to put it
up and keep it up."  Both might be of interest in your planning. The post
would be too wordy for adding it here, so I'll send part one separately
to you direct for your interest.

I hope this helps somewhat with your planning.

73,

Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or  orders@thewireman.com
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  n8ug@thewireman.com
http://www.thewireman.com  and the WIRELINE news
and bargain page.  Our 22nd year!