[TowerTalk] properly feeding a tribander stack

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:07:20 -0400

> Hi Pete - Your query brings to mind a few words from  Walt Maxwell. in
> "Reflections,"
> "All power fed into the line, minus the amount lost in line attenuation,
> is absorbed in the load regardless of the mismatch at the antenna
> terminals"

Question:  Is it possible that a mismatch may create imbalances that
cause the antenna to mis-radiate much of the signal?  We take lots of
care to feed our antennas in specific ways to protect design criteria.  May
certain feedline lengths and types have a potential to load-down or phase-
imbalance some antennas such that the designed radiation characteristics are
disturbed (resulting in a cloud-warming or ground-warming patterns)?

This would agree with Maxwell's assertion that the antenna radiates the
signal
but further explain why that signal seems weak because it may be misdirected
away from the desired and expected target.

This may explain why some folks love and others hate the performance of
the same antennas, even in the same environment.  Might the differing
results
have nothing to do with the antenna design at all?

As we await access to his new book those of us not blessed enough to own
Reflections must speculate if he has indeed addressed such peripheral
issues.
Would someone be so kind as to illuminate this further, please?

Thanks! & 73, DavidC  K1YP