[TowerTalk] messenger cable attachments

Don Moman ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:12:36 -0600 (MDT)

There are specific U shaped formed spring steel brackets that hang over
the EHS, they have a spring action in that you twist them slightly and
snap them over the messenger cable. These are quite sturdy and I'm sure
could support several hundred pounds each.  I acquired several hundred of
these years ago surplus from a AM broadcast site. I have no idea who makes
them - and I wouldn't personally spend much time looking for them. Wire or
tape or whatever is just as good and likely cheaper.

73 Don
VE6JY

> > Hello
> >
> > I just installed a 205 foot long "fence" of 6" x 6" x 6' pressure-treated
> > posts, each buried about 2 1/2' deep.  These support a 1/4" EHS messenger
> > cable (through side-mounted eye bolts) and I have one run of RG213 type
> > coax across it for now.  I'll be running a large rotor-cable type control
> > cable, and a 1/2" FSJ and 7/8" Heliax lines in addition to the 'regular
> > coax (if it ever stops raining here).  The messenger cable is tied to
> > anchors at both ends, with a turnbuckle, just like a guy line - except
> > horizontal.  The anchors are the kind used for mobile homes.  Cheap and
> > effective.
> >
> > I attached the small RG213 style coax to the messenger line every so often
> > with regular electrical tape.  Seems to work fine.  But I feel it mightn't
> > be sufficient for the heavier/stiffer hard-line cables, nor for the thick
> > control cable.
> >
> > So:  anyone have any other ideas how to strap the coaxes to the messenger
> > line, besides lots of ty-wraps?
> >
> > Steve KZ1X/4
> > Chapel Hill, NC

VE6JY  Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca