[TowerTalk] re: figure 8 knots

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 07:18:38 +0100

N6RK wrote:
>A more useful URL for knots (at least for me) was:
>
><<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~styms1l/cave/>>
>
>Scroll down the left hand area and click on "knots".
>Then click on double figure 8.
>
>I previously knew just about nothing about knots and
>I read the section in there on the double
>figure 8 knots.  Now I use those for everything.
>They always work great, and untie easily.

The double figure-8 is excellent for making rope eyes, either in bare
rope or tied around a metal or nylon eye. I've used it a lot, and never
had one slip, or even show signs of movement.

Another good feature of the figure-8 is that is doesn't have any sharp
kinks, which usually make a knot much weaker than the straight part of
the rope. Any knot will be weaker than a correctly made splice, but as
an occasional rope-worker I'd trust my figure-8s much more than my
doubtful splicing skills.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek