[TowerTalk] Radio location in relation to antenna

Ed Juge ed_juge@zianet.com
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 07:56:19 -0500

Hi, Terry...

Although I'd much rather be on the ground floor, we just moved into our
second house where my shack is located on the second floor, almost directly
beneath two antennas.  Not glowing in the dark yet, turning green or
anything like that.  What negative health issues I have either preceded
these locations or are attributable to getting a few years
older.  (Theoretically I suppose you'll be a bit close to your antennas for
comfort but for the first 40 years of my ham career we didn't know the
supposed dangers of being too close to an RF source and I never knew anyone
to suffer from it.  Do you have a spare lead suit laying around?)

In both cases, I ran a heavy, solid ground lead (#6) down to an 8' ground
rod directly below the operating position.  In the current case, I also
connected to the house electrical ground (conveniently close) which is a
pipe I'll bet isn't more than three feet in the ground. For cables going
outside I have a 4" conduit through the house wall which makes an immediate
but gentle 90-degree turn toward the ground, so the distance is minimized.

There is a 15ft. mast about 6ft. over my head which supports a 2m/70cm
vertical (100 watts out on 2m) and the center of my 80/40 Inverted Vee.  My
other antenna is a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower in the back yard, probably 50-60ft.
away horizontally.  The SWR on both antennas is quite low over my operating
frequency range, so there have been no problems with stray RF. (Well,
actually, when I key up, I turn on the touch light built into my wife's
china cabinet directly below the transmitters.)   Once, in the other house,
I had some RF on the mic which was eventually traced to a coax jumper with
a bad connection on the shield side.

I don't run 'em 10% of the time but I do have a 1.5KW TenTec amp and two
30L1's worth about 500 W each.

If you have a problem on one or two bands, you should be able to create an
artificial RF ground by stringing a 1/4-wave radial from the transmitter
along the wall or floor of your shack.

The other option, of course, would be to have an electrician re-route those
30-amp circuits to your present shack location.  The cost probably depends
on what's common in your geographical area, but I'd be surprised if it cost
much over $75 for both.  It might be worth 75 bucks not to have to haul the
amp upstairs :-).

Hope this helps.

Good luck... Ed, W5EJ

At 08:09 PM 10/17/99 -0500, thaxton@ptgroup.com wrote:

>     I am considering moving my radio gear out of the lower level of
>my house to the upper level.  My reason is that I can convert a
>couple of 30 amp circuts over to 220V I had installed to run my
>computer gear when I first started my company.  I don't need them
>anymore.
>
>     The new location would put my gear about 15 feet under the roof
>mount antenna I have just installed.  I also have a couple of dipoles
>layed across this section of the roof as well.  I would be running an
>amp rated at 1.5kw if I decide to relocate and fire up a 220V circut.
>
>     So what kind of RF problems would or could I be setting myself
>up to experience? Would the proximity to the antenna pose a
>problem? What should I consider if I do this? Should I maintain a
>larger distance(55 feet now) from my antenna's such as I have
>now?  What precautions, RF wise, should I be considering?  Will I
>glow in the dark? :)
>
>Any feedback or comments would be most appreciated.
>
>Don
>N0FGK
>

>--

Ed Juge