[TowerTalk] R-7000 Problem

Bob Turner N2SCJ@MSN.COM
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:05:25 -0400

I had similar problem.  Prior to Dayton this year, antenna gradually failed,
but auto-tuner in IC-756 disguised the problem from me.  Prior to Dayton
only 10M was working.  At Dayton I spoke to CC rep who was fairly certain
CT1 had failed.  In all honesty, I failed to write down which trap had
failed so am not 100% certain which trap he said failed.  But it was
definatly a trap failure which the rep had suspected.  After Dayton 10M had
also failed but eventually came back to life.  Due to other priorities and
guy ropes from another mast in the way, I just got around to taking antenna
down Sunday night.

Some bugs and debris were in box at base.  Cable ties have snapped that hold
the inductors.  It looks like it may be a pain to replace the cable ties.
I'm wondering if an alternate method can be devised to hold the inductors in
place.

I had hoped to take a look inside the traps, but I see the dimples in tubing
that holds them in place.  I think I may be better off not taking a look
inside.

The vice method of removing rubber seal worked!

The traps are getting loose.  The most severe looseness is at base of CT1.
It looks like I can rework all three traps as ValErwin has suggested.
Hopefully, my results are as good as his.

Comments?

7 3

Bob