[TowerTalk] M2 2800 rotor assistance

Steve Jackson ssj@nortelnetworks.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:15:57 -0400

At 03:34 AM 10/24/99 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Steve Jackson wrote:
>> what does the 'L' mean in the RC2800 display?
>     The "L" means limit zone. (Unit defaults @ 20)

gee. mine defaults (mode 6 reset) to 14/L14

>> why isn't this key piece of information listed in the manual?
>     These things are inscribed in step 1  under "action" on the page in
>the manual titled "Programming the RC2800DC-A Azimuth Control Unit".

yes, I found that about 3 seconds after I hit the 'send' button on the last
message ... it oughta be in the part where they describe the other display
digits

>> why can't I complete Step 5 of the factory calibration procedure?  (it
>> worked fine on the ground)
>     Ensure that step 5 is carried out in the program maode rather than
>the run mode. This one baffled me for a while.

I was in PROGRAM mode ..  ... well, it DOES work now, after a Mode 6 reset
AND a power cycle.

If I do the initialization sequence, the thing rotates all 360 degress all
right,  but the absolute readout is wrong.  If I tell the controller where
the antenna is (in program Mode 3), that is where the problems start.  If I
'set' it, I don't get 360 deg. of rotation anymore.  It's really very
puzzling.  I've tried a South stop, North stop, offset stop, changing the
limits, you name it.

>> was it critical to align the rotator to a fixed position before clamping
>> the mast?  (unlike other rotors, it's not supposed to be necessary)
>      Yes. The KISS principle is important here. When I pour a tower base
>I smush a 2-3' length of 1" pipe lightly in the base aimed unerringly
>North as the concrete is setting up. After checking out the rotating
>device to ensure that it can perform its tricks I leave the rotator on its
>North setting ( 0 or 360 degrees for the engineers among us) and then bolt
>the rotator into the tower.

ok, I was under the impression that this convention of other rotors wasn't
needed with this one ... it sure doesn't say so in either the positioner or
controller manuals ...

>     Yup. Spins my full size DX Engineering 40M 3 element beam around like
>a top. I Looked at the Big-Boy line at Dayton but they haven't made enough
>mistakes yet to have a good reputation. The M*M guys and girls have nursed
>the RC2800 through adolescence now and have a reliable device.

I arrived at the same conclusion, via the same rationale as you did.  My
antenna array seems to turn as if the rotor was laughing at me, saying
"that's all you can throw at me?"

Plus, the directly-comparable Big Boy model isn't enough of a bargain IMHO
to override the insecurity factor, and, the Big Boy computer interface is
not yet supported by DX4WIN.

>     Steve, you may not have received all of the manual. You might call
>M*M at 559-432-8873 and compare what you have with what you should have.

ok Lew, tnx for the response ... I think I got all of it OK, but I will
call Mike or (what's that other guy's name?) tomorrow

73  Steve KZ1X/4
turning 3 Force 12 beams: a C36XR at 80', an EF706 at 88', and (soon, I
hope) a N1217 at 96'

* * *