[TowerTalk] Tower questions

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:20:32 -0400

On 10/15/99 16:49, Steven R. Schmidt at k4wa@nuc.net wrote:

>Second, in the event I have to scrap it, I have found a fellow offering to
>sell some sections of used Rohn 25, a half section for a base, and a top
>section with  rotor plate.  What's a good price for used Rohn 25?

I recently bought some used Rohn 25 for about $32 per section. This stuff
was about 15 years old - clean, straight, with round bolt holes and no
signs of rust or cracks. I believe it was a deal.

New Rohn 25 is about $70 per section. Used goes from $30-50, depending on
condition.

Watch out for Rohn 20 masquerading as 25. Rohn 25 has seven zig-zags,
Rohn 20 has six.

>And where
>do I find a good source of information on engineering a Rohn 25 installation
>in sandy soil in the hurricane-prone Gulf Coast?

Buy or borrow a Rohn catalog, it has a wealth of engineering information.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales