[TowerTalk] What is "normal" soil?

Curtis, David B david.b.curtis@intel.com
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:54:26 -0700

Hi Roy,

Well, OK.  That's the spec.  Well and good. I read that, too, but it still
leaves me with questions.

So.... What counts for "rocks"? And how do I measure this 400 lbs per square
foot of bearing capacity?  How do I tell "cohesive"?  I suspect "cohesive"
means something to a soil scientist, but I ain't one.

When I look at my dirt, I see classic "gold country" red dirt and rocks.
Does it meet the magic 400 number? Very hard for me to tell.  I need to find
a simple test that I can reliably execute.

73, Dave N6NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: wa4dou@juno.com [mailto:wa4dou@juno.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 4:11 PM
To: david.b.curtis@intel.com
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What is "normal" soil?

Hi David,
  Heres your "engineering answer." Its right out of the Rohn Engineering
manual.

  NORMAL SOIL is a cohesive type soil with a horizontal bearing capacity
of 400
lbs. per square foot per lineal foot of depth. Rocks, non-cohesive soils,
or saturated
or submerged soils are not to be considered as normal.

  73 Roy WA4DOU