[TowerTalk] Re: Groundscreen extraordinaire -- In The Real World

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:39:20 -0400

Your rant made me think about a real world possibility here in Florida.

If I could get 20' ground rods down to the water level at four corners,
then tie them together with copper strip or 2/0 in an X shape and then
attached that to the base of a vertical would I not have a "groundscreen
extraordinaire"?  Or would I need to duplicate the water at grade level
and use chicken wire to cover the entire area between the four water-table
grounded rods?  (The four 20" rods and the X connection sure would be
less hassle to work around than the chicken wire!)

The intitial thought is to use this with my Butternut HF6V, a second thought
is to create something vertical and dedicated to 80m.

Got the creative juices flowing now!  73, DavidC  K1YP

> IT AIN'T TUNED for a GREAT groundscreen like a tin roof! If it was, it
would
> look terrible on the SWR meter at Joe Averageham's place
>
> 3) The reason why a lot of shortened antennas look broad is because SOD
LOSSES