[TowerTalk] rope

W7lr@aol.com W7lr@aol.com
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:03:32 EDT

I'd appreciate advice on selecting rope to guy my 90' irrigation pipe
vertical.
I use four guys every 15' on the pipe.

In doing rope research I find these given:

uv resistant double weave dacron

double braid polyester with black uv, mildew, abrasion resistant jacket

uv resistant dacron

kevlar/dacron

Also available is 3/16" Phillystran. More expensive than dacron rope; has
enough strength for my application; and estimated life of at least 20 years.

At my age (78) the estimated life of rope has been given at 10 years which
may be enough!

For strength comparisions, and using a ratio of 1 to 6 for working vs
breaking strength, I find these numbers for  ropes:

3/16" uv resistant dacron    385#

3/16" double weave dacron  128#

3/16" Phillystran      200#

>075" kevlar/dacron   100#

What would you choose and why?  Are there other factors to consider other
than price (except for Phillystran probably not a big factor); ease of using;
life expectancy, etc??

73 Bob W7LR  in Montana.  Wind and ice are not bad here but cold winter
temperatures are.  Abrasion is not a problem. Humidity is very low.  Moose,
deer and bears could be a problem for any rope.

Thanks for your help and advice.