[TowerTalk] Crossing the ditch - PVC?

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:38:50 -0500

I've read the archives and other posts about PVC versus direct burial of
cables.  Would like some advice given my specific situation.

Feedline is LMR-600DB (has the flooding compound).  Rotator and switchbox
control is romex UF-B.  I have a 550 ft run, about 1/3 above ground and 2/3
in 12 inch trench.  (I already know deeper is better, more or less.)

There are 2 "special" points along this run:

1.  One is about 30 feet through a particularly rocky area.  I wanted to
use some extra protection thru here.  I've considered 3-4 sections of PVC,
cemented together;  sections of PVC NOT cemented together and ends left
apart;  using something like septic pipe with holes for drainage.  The
latter sounds the best to me - comments?

2.  At another point I have to cross a ditch that feeds a farm pond.  The
ditch is dry now, but can be quite briskly flowing in the spring.  3
sections of PVC will take the cables straight across.  I could even make a
slight prop in the middle so that any water would tend to drain downwards
toward the open ends.  Or, I could use the septic pipe with holes and just
know that it would be wet when it's wet out and dry when it's dry out!
 Comments?

Please save your comments about starting over, going 36 in deep and burying
4 inch PVC - not gonna happen.  ;-)  Many thanks for practical suggestions
for this run.  73

WA9ALS - John  mailto:jfleming@shelbynet.net
http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/towerproject.htm
http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/amstart.htm