[TowerTalk] To pin or not

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:50:39 -0400

At 06:05 PM 9/6/1999 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>     The original poster asked about *his* situation. I stand by my advice
>'not pin' since he's dealing with 4130 which will be a bear to drill. It's
>more of a practical consideration to me. I guess with the Yaesu
>'prone-to-break' clamps, they're just ensuring that the mast won't slip
>inside the clamps.

Several years ago, when I first got my G-1000SDX, I asked Yaesu USA about
the mast clamps/pinning issue.  I was told at the time that they had asked
the factory to change over to a more durable clamp design, and the
factory's response was to add the bosses and drilling for the pinning bolt,
while sticking with the old material.  Presumably the new production clamps
are as weak as the old ones, because the tightening instructions haven't
changed.

By the way, my G-1000 does have a brake -- a tiny drum, so identified on
the blow-up drawing of the rotator itself.  Also has a spec for braking
torque, so maybe it's different from the G-800 in this respect, though the
control boxes are identical.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower