[TowerTalk] Tower Height question

Joe L Blackwell aa4nn@juno.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:01:19 -0400

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:53:37 -0500 "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
writes:
snip
> Another good thing about a 70 foot crank-up is that is is several
> times stronger when cranked down to 50 feet which gives great
>performance on 15 and  10m when the WX is bad.
> You can shunt feed the whole thing for 80m and 160m. It will be a
> killer on  those two bands as a top loaded vertical.

Okay, so I have the 89 ft crank up US Tower and some of the guys
around here say I should shunt feed it for 160.  Question...  is the
crank up tower electrically stable ?  I mean, the telescoping
sections are not always in contact, are they?  I wouldn't think so,
as I have looked up at my tower from the base when the wind was
gusting back and forth, left and right, and it just looks like  if you
tried to get continuity on such a tower you would be just fooling
yourself.

I would like to try shunt feed, but seems to me it is a hit or miss.
Maybe blow the AMP when the tower tilted a bit and continuity
went south.

73, de Joe AA4NN