[TowerTalk] mounting a tower in water

Curtis, David B david.b.curtis@intel.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:25:18 -0700

N6TR once upon a time had some pictures of W5WMU up on the web somewhere.
Unfortunately, I can't remember where.  But W5WMU appears to be built on a
salt marsh.  I distinctly remember a photo of a tower base near a puddle of
standing water.  Anyway, judging by results from W5WMU, swamp under your
tower is a Good Thing(tm).

My personal experience is from about 10 years ago when I had a typical
tri-bander & wires station in Anoka county Minnesota.  Anoka county is for
all practical purposes a fresh water marsh ~50% filled in with "sugar" sand,
with houses built on the high spots.  I had a nice duck pond, about 1.5
acres of swampy cattail-filled marsh, and water table about 10 feet down in
the dry spots of the lot.  The tri-bander and wires were modest sized, but
happy antennas.  Of course, I can't give any direct A/B comparisons ("OK,
this is with swamp, with, with, with... OK, now stand by while I drain my
lot..."), but certainly all of us living in Anoka county believed the marshy
ground was good for our signals... how else could you justify living amongst
thousands of acres of prime mosquito breeding country?

73, Dave N6NZ (ex-NG0X)

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Heinzinger [mailto:w9ol@dataflo.net]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 9:38 AM
To: TowerTalk
Subject: [TowerTalk] mounting a tower in water

All kidding aside.
Has anyone ever erected their tower in the middle of a pond? I don't mean
Scarborough reef.
But if someone had a acre or so pond on their property, would there be any
advantage?

Not planning on doing this, just wondering.

If all the veins in your body were laid end-to-end, you'd be dead.
Bill

homepage at
http://www.dataflo.net/~w9ol