[TowerTalk] MFJ259b jumper problem.

Mike Nash, ND6A nd6a@psnw.com
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 09:58:43 -0800

Why not just solder the pins together? or if you need it selectable, there
are lots of little microswitches on the market that one could install
reltively neatly and easily.
Just a few seconds worth of brain matter,
Mike...ND6A

At 10:33 PM 03/30/2000 -0600, you wrote:

>I have not had need to use my 259 for a few weeks, and, on picking it up
>the other day, I found it dead when I tried to use battery power. OK on the
>wall-wart, but dead as a carp without it. I assumed the batteries were
>down, (although it had not been unused THAT long), so I plugged it in
>overnight to charge. The next morning- still dead on Bat, OK when plugged in.
>
> After I opened it up, I found the Batteries at minimum charge, and no
>voltage on them when the wall-wart was plugged it . On looking around- I
>found the shorting jumper that is set to choose between "charger enabled"
>and "charger disabled" was missing. This is one of those tiny,
>computer-type, black plastic gadgets that slips onto pins to select between
>the options.  I found it on the table, where it had fallen when I opened
>the case.
>
>When I put this back where it belonged, the voltage read OK (but low) at
>the battery box, with the charger plugged in. However, the jumper felt very
>loose, and not as I expected it to feel. I have attached and moved these
>things hundreds of times, in working on computers, and this one did not
>feel right. Further checking showed that if I did not seat it FIRMLY, it
>would fall off when I turned the unit over. Not a proper fit, at all.
>
>I replaced the jumper with a spare, and it felt, and worked, fine, so the
>problem was in the jumper, not the pins on the board. These are pretty tiny
>objects, and a little hard to see into, but the brass sheet loops that form
>the actual contacts looked like they were larger than normal.
>
>Before anyone jumps up and yells "poor QC", ( frequent "Knee-jerk"
>reaction), I would hesitate.  This is NOT the type of thing that is
>normally checked 100% by function test, by ANY manufacturer, and even had
>it been, this piece would probably have passed.
>
>THe only reason I report this to the lists, is to point out an experienced
>problem, to cut the trouble shooting time down, should anyone else run into
>a similar  happening. I expect this is a very rare thing, but-  who knows?
>
>Bill- (Generally quite happy with Starkville) - W4BSG
>

>-
>Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
> Woodville, Alabama, US 35776
> (in the N.E. corner of the State)
>      W4BSG   --   Grid EM64vr
>        baycock@HiWAAY.net
>             w4bsg@arrl.net
>
>--

If a tower falls in the woods and no-one is around to see or hear it does
the cash register still go "cha-ching"?