[TowerTalk] Re: towers

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:23:23 EDT

In a message dated 04.04.00 05:42:20 Pacific Daylight Time, n4kg@juno.com
writes:<<

 For lightning protection, shunt feeding a grounded element is the best
 solution.    de  Tom  N4KG  >>

Right on Tom.  Where I'm moving to in SD there is a lot of Lightning and all
my verticals and beam towers will be shunt fed in indirect manners.  I
described a few days ago the technique of connecting the shield of the coax
to the tower about 5' high and the center lead going to the horizontal radial
and adjusting it to resonance --not the tower.  I will have a choke across
the feed point also.  I will also use a circuit that broadband the antenna
that involves a heavy inductor across the feedpoint.  This gives the antenna
a very low DC path to ground.  Hopefully it will divert most of it to ground
out there instead of the shack.  The coax will be buried all the way to the
shack and the shield grounded there before it goes into the shack.  There is
a technique of using a folded unequal diameter monopole vertical to give say
300-1000 ohms or even higher Rr and an L network to match it.  The smaller
diameter conductor has the highest antenna R.   The tower is the largest
diameter.  This way the radial ground loss resistance it very very small in
comparison and is insignificant--for a change.  The RF currents are greatly
reduced also in the small diameter conductors.  One can then add a low
amperage fuse in series with the lead going to the center lead of the coax.
I've never seen this very high R feedpoint and low amperage fuse idea
suggested before for verticals.  I did that back in 1938.  If the fuse ever
blows on it's own it's easy to change as it's at ground level and I've had to
replace it at times after a storm.  Find the value of fuse that blows after
say a very long transmission.  If the vertical antenna R is say 1000 ohms,
the current is 1 A for 1KW, .3 A for 100W and .1A for 10W.  You will feel
much better about equipment damage from static electricity charges and other
jolts with a small fuse in the circuit at the vertical.  For beams on a high
tower, fuses can be added in the feedline in the shack like in a coax switch.
 I have a ground switch built in my coax switch also.  I've seen what wind
blown dust, rain and snow static can do and how to suppress it.  Quads are
typically quieter in these conditions due to the low resistance DC short of
the Quad loop across itself and the feedpoint.  The Quad has so many
advantages that it deserves full recognition whenever deserved.  K7GCO