[TowerTalk] Tall verticals

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 19:50:48 -0600

I recommend  against  shunt feeding tall towers
with side mounted antennas.

I had a 130 ft R35 tower with a 3L15 on top and 3L20
side mounted at 63 ft along with an 80M inverted vee
at 110 ft.  It worked on 160 but was noticably less
competitive after I added the side mounted 3L20.
I believe it altered the current flow in the tower and
suspect there was a phase reversal in the upper
half, partially cancelling the vertically polarized
radiation.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:57:58 -0400 "Scott Detloff K8DX" <ni8l@raex.com>
writes:

> Would like to know if any one out there has any real world
> experience with very tall verticals.  I'm thinking about shunt
> feeding a 170' tower that will have full-sized 3/3 on 40M.
>
> A few years ago I had a full-size quarter waver vertical for
> 160M that was hung off this tower, just 60' away, and it was
> a killer.
>
> Any ADVANTAGES to shunt feeding the tower, other than
> getting 160M another 60' away from the 80M 4SQ?  Any
> disadvantages?
>
>  73...Scott K8DX
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW: