[TowerTalk] Tower Questions

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:21:22 -0700

>  >Since you raised questions about antenna loads and towers, I'll take the
> >opportunity to post my bi-annual reminder that the antenna area ratings
> >cited by most tower designers is not necessarily the same antenna area
> >that one is likely to get from the antenna folks.
>
> Which raises my question -- how do we get these antenna area ratings and
> antenna area specifications into the same units so we can compare them?
>
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org

Here is how I think we can get the Antenna Area Standards we need:

1.  Understand the differences in the way these specs are presented by tower
makers and antenna makers.

2.  When you buy an antenna, INSIST that the manufacturer EXPLAIN how he
calculated his area rating.  If you don't insist, you will never find out.

3.  Once you understand the differences and the way the antenna manufacturer did
his calculaltions, you can convert one to the other and do your own comparisons.

4.  Suggest to the antenna manufacture that he adopt the same Standard of
antenna area caluclation that HyGain has and eventually, we may actually have a
standard . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com