[TowerTalk] Raibeam PART-2

wa4dou@juno.com wa4dou@juno.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 23:57:59 -0400

Hi Fred,
  While you believe so, i sincerely doubt it. Tenth's of a db aren't even
discernable.
Would it crush your ego to consider the possibility that he might have
had better
propagation, or be a better operator, or could it be possible that
randomness was
at work. If you, as a contester ,think you need those few tenths of an
extra db, go for
them. Anyone else who feels they need them, go for it too. But don't tell
me that XYZ
is a superior antenna and eclipses all others in its class, because it
has 1-2 db more
gain. The results won't be attributable to that antenna, it'll be because
the propagation
gods are smiling on your qth! Ha!
  BTW, in 1979 i worked for W4CEN, in Charlotte. Tom let me hang an 80/40
meter
trapped sloper off the east side of his 160 ft. tower at work. An hour
before sunset, i
could start working VK6 long path on both bands, and ZS's that were so
weak that
almost no east coast stations could even hear them. It brought out the
hecklers!!! Ha!
  Did you know that when you die, they throw away your qsl cards? Ever
wonder why?
  73 roy WA4DOU

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:53:25 -0400 Fred Hopengarten <k1vr@juno.com>
writes:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:55:05 -0400 wa4dou@juno.com writes:
>
> > Yes, i know, races are won in hundredths of a second, but
> > really who are you racing with?
>
> K1VR:  That's easy. I'm a contester and I have competitors. Several
> years back K1VR lost to W3BGN in ARRL DX CW, M/S class, for the
> national title by ONE multiplier or four QSO's. A few tenth's of a
> dB over 48 hours would have surely been worth it.
>
> Fred Hopengarten K1VR
> hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
> Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
> 781/259-0088 *eFax 419/858-2421

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.